Food plays an important role in our daily lives. What we eat, how it gets to us, the ways in which it is grown, produced, and/or processed all have far-reaching effects on our society and environment. As a part of Gator Dining’s commitment to sustainability, we strive to source as much food from local and organic sources as possible.
How do we define local?
- From within 250 miles of campus
- Within the state of Florida
- Within the Southeast U.S. (GA, AL, TN, SC, NC, MS)
- Ormond Beach, FL
- 86 miles from UF
The Tempeh Shop
- Gainesville, FL
- 4 miles from UF
Sweetwater Organic Coffee
- Gainesville, FL
- 2 miles from UF
- Lake City, FL
- 35 miles from UF
TG Lee Dairy
- DeLand, FL
- 100 miles from UF
The Villages Grown
- The Villages, FL
- 64 miles from UF
Florida Cattle Ranchers
Florida Cattle Ranchers is a collective of cattlemen around the state who are dedicated to land preservation, environmental stewardship, and transparency. All beef served in our dining halls, from ribeye to brisket to burgers, comes from cattle born, raised, and processed right in Florida. Partnering with FCR allows us to support Florida’s beef industry while minimizing the transportation time and distance from farm to fork.
UF Meat Processing
The University of Florida Meat Processing Center is an UF/IFAS facility with a mission to accelerate teaching, extension, and research programs for the IFAS Animal Sciences Department. All products offered at their Meat Retail Store are from livestock raised and processed in Gainesville, Florida at the UF/IFAS Animal Sciences Facilities.
Flowers Bakery is headquartered in Thomasville, GA and bas a processing plant in Jacksonville, FL. A majority of the bread served in our dining halls is baked within a 250-mile radius of UF.
Fresh Point Produce
Fresh Point is our produce supplier that works with 35+ Florida farms to supply fresh produce to Gator Dining.
HERE IS A LIST OF A FEW FARMS WE SOURCE VIA FRESH POINT:
- Naturipe Farms in Estero, FL
- Pexco in Plant City, FL
- J&J Family of Farms in Loxahatchee, FL
- Pero Family Farms in Delray Beach, FL
- Mack Farms in Lake Wales, FL
- Florida Classic Growers
- Santa Sweets in Plant City, FL
- Waterkist Farms in Orlando, FL
- Lambeth Groves in Vero Beach, FL
- Wish Farms in Plant City, FL
- High Springs Orchard in High Springs, FL
- Uncle Matt’s Organic in Clermont, FL
Sysco is our main supplier of food across campus. They work with many North Central food producers to source Gator Dining with local food items such as the following:
- Village Bread & Bagels in Jacksonville, FL
- Annie Euro American Bakery in Longwood, FL
- Beaver Street Fisheries in Jacksonville, FL
- Mayport C&C Fisheries in Jacksonville, FL
- White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA
- Sunset Farm Foods in Valdosta, GA
Local Restaurant Partners
We are partnered with many Florida restaurants, food trucks and vendors who serve diverse and delicious flavors at both Local Restaurant Row and in the dining halls.
- Mi Apa
- Big Island Bowls
- Fat G’s BBQ
- B’z Gelati